How can I...


Non-Emergencies Dial: (361) 575-0651

Emergencies Dial: 911

Sheriff Patch
VCSO Questions and Answers

1. Can you run a license plate and tell me who it belongs to?

No. This information can not be disseminated outside of law enforcement.

2. Can you run my drivers license and provide me with a copy?

No. A form can be provided to you to complete and submit to DPS in Austin. For a fee, your license information will be forwarded to you via the US mail.

3. Is there a leash law in the county?

No there is not, but dogs must have a collar and tags indicating that vaccinations are current or they may be picked up by animal control.

4. My common-law spouse took a vehicle that is in my name. Can Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle be filed on them?

Texas recognizes common-law relationships and is also a community property state. If the vehicle was acquired by either party during the relationship, the vehicle belongs to both. A common-law marriage can and should be dissolved by filing for divorce. Property issues, custody issues and child support issues will then be decided by the court.

5. My spouse refuses to allow my court ordered visitation with my children. Can he or she be arrested for not following the orders of the court?

Technically, custody and property issues as a result of a divorce decree are civil matters and the court should be petitioned and a hearing held to resolve any areas of contention. This does not mean that one spouse or the other cannot report incidents whereby one party or the other refuses to comply with the visitation provisions of the decree. If the information is documented by an incident report, this information is available to the attorneys representing either party. If an offense of Interference with Child Custody is generated, the District Attorney's office will determine if the elements of an offense exist and if a warrant should be issued.

6. What services do Victim Liaisons provide?

  • On scene crisis intervention 24 hours a day.
  • Accompaniment to hospital or other service agencies.
  • Referrals to support agencies.
  • Emergency transportation.
  • Notification and assistance in filing Crime victims' Compensation claims.
  • Assistance in obtaining Protective Orders.
  • Serve as liaison between victims and law enforcement.
  • Assist by telephone or office visit any victim requiring assistance filling the crime.
  • Assistance in delivering death notifications and assisting at death scenes.
  • Court accompaniment
  • Family Violence and Sexual Assault assistance.

7. What is a Protective Order, and how can it help me?  A protective order may prohibit the offender from:

  • Committing further acts of family violence
  • Harassing or threatening the victim, either directly or indirectly by communicating the threat through another person
  • Going to, or near a school or day-care center that a child protected under the order attends
  • Possessing a firearm

In some situations, a protective order may also include orders to ______ if certain conditions are met.

  • Prohibit transfer or disposal of property
  • Establish possession and visitation of a child
  • Pay child or spousal support for a period not to exceed one year
  • Attend mandatory counseling
  • Vacate the residence or other specified property

8. Who is eligible for a Protective Order?  If a court finds that family violence has occurred and is likely to occur again, the court shall render a protective order. To obtain a protective order, the victim and the offender must be:

  • Related by blood or marriage
  • Living together, or previously lived together
  • Have or have had a dating relationship
  • Have a child or children together
  • A person who has a divorce pending is eligible for a protective order. The protective order must be filed in court in which the divorce is pending

9. How can I get a protective order?
  • You can apply for a protective order through the district or county attorney, a private attorney, or a legal aid service program.
  • The application must be filed in the county in which you or the offender lives.
  • There are no minimum time limits to establish residency, and protective orders are available in every county in Texas.

10. What does a protective order cost?
  • The applicant (victim) or an attorney representing the applicant may not be assessed a fee, cost, charge, or expense, by a district or county clerk or by a sheriff, constable, or other public official or employee in connection with the filing, serving, or entering or for any other service.
  • This includes any fees for dismissing, modifying, or withdrawing a protective order, certifying copies, comparing copies to originals, court reporter fees, judicial fund fees, transferring a protective order or for any other service related to a protective order.
  • The court shall require the offender to pay the fees incurred in connection with the protective order unless the offender shows good cause or is indigent.
  • Victim Liaisons will be able to instruct and guide victims through the process of applying for Protective Orders and will accompany victims to court, at the request of the victim.
11. What items can inmates receive from family/friends?


Inmates can receive letters and family pictures through the mail. Any other items must be approved by Inmate Services prior to being accepted.  See Jail Questions for a more specific list of what acceptable to send incarcerated family members

12. How much credit does an inmate receive daily (that goes towards laying out fines)?

$100.00 per day after 24 hours, $200.00 per day for trustees

13. How do I place money on an inmate's phone or commissary account?

Click here for detailed information on inmate phone and commissary accounts

14. Who can be contacted if an inmate is unable to make collect calls?

Contact Correct Solutions Group at 877-618-3516.

15. How can I find out if somebody is in jail?

Go to the following link : Search for Jail Inmate

16. How do I get in touch with the jail to check the status of an inmate?

Call the main phone number: 361-575-0651.

17. Who do I call to find out my 911 address?

Contact Golden Crescent Regional Planning Commission
Monday - Friday ( 8am - 5pm ): (361)578-1587

18. What are the non-emergency numbers to the Sheriff's Office, Police Department, Fire Department, and EMS?

  • Sheriffs Office: (361)575-0651
  • Police Department:(361)573-3221
  • Fire Department: (361)573-3221
  • EMS: (361) 573-3221

19. How do I get in touch with a sheriff's office in another county?

In most instances, you can contact information 1-411 on your telephone and tell them you need the phone number to the sheriff office in the town you are looking for. If, for some reason, you are not able to obtain a phone number from the telephone company, our agency has a list of phone numbers for the sheriffs departments in the entire state of Texas. Contact our communications office at: (361) 575-0651.

20. Where is the jail located?

The jail is located in the same building as the Sheriff's Office at 101 N. Glass Street.

Press ENTER key to focus on the active panel