How can I...

Attention Marriage License applicants!

When completing the online application, the groom (or person whose surname will be used) will be "Applicant 1".

Marriage License FAQs

What are the requirements for getting a formal marriage license?

  • The license must be issued at least 72 hours* prior to the wedding date, but not more than 90 days before.
  • Both parties must appear before the county clerk*;
  • Submit proof of identity and age;
  • Provide information applicable to each person for which space is provided;
  • Mark the appropriate boxes provided in the application and;
  • Take the oath printed on the application and sign before the county clerk.

*  If the applicant is an active member of the United States Armed Forces; or, if the applicants have completed a pre-marital educational course (registered with Twogether In Texas); or, if a waiver of 72 hours is signed, the waiting period may be waived. 

*If a party is unable to appear before the clerk, they may complete an absent applicant affidavit.  At least one person must appear in person.

What can I use as proof of identity?
You may use any of the following as proof of identity;
  • Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the State of Texas or another state;
  • United States Passport
  • A Current Passport Issued by a Foreign Country;
  • Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate issued by Bureau of Vital Statistic for a state or a foreign government. Must present a valid form of government issued ID; or
  • Military ID
  • MUTILATED FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED (Ex. torn, taped together, or laminated).

What if my fiancé is out of the country?
All applicants must be present for the ceremony unless the absent applicant is a member of the armed forces of the United States stationed in another country in support of combat or another military operation: and unable to attend the ceremony. All other applicants will have to be present for the ceremony.

How long do I have to use my marriage license after I've purchased it?
Expiration of License: If a marriage ceremony has not been conducted before the 90th day after the date the license is issued, the marriage license expires.

Who can perform a marriage license?

The following persons are authorized to conduct a marriage ceremony (a link to the Texas Family Code regarding marriage licenses is below):

  • a licensed or ordained Christian minister or priest;
  • a Jewish rabbi;
  • a person who is an officer of a religious organization and who is authorized by the organization to conduct a marriage ceremony;
  • judges or retired judges listed in Section 2.202 of the Texas Family Code. 

How do I get a certified copy of my marriage license?
For Certified Copies of a marriage license you may request them in person, by phone or submit a written request by mail.
Certified Copies are $7.00 each. Certified Copies cannot be faxed.