How can I...

To start a cottage food business, there are no permits, fees, or licenses required beyond basic food handler's certification. Below are some of the frequently asked questions regarding the rules, what can be sold, and prepared under the Texas Cottage Law.

Please visit the Texas Cottage Food Law website for additional information.

1. Read the basic rules of the cottage food law. Know the rules and your rights! 

2. Pick your product(s). Verify that your product is allowable under the law. See below for an updated list of allowed foods.

3. Obtain your Texas Food Handler’s Certification. Cost – around $10. [REQUIRED]

4. Create your legally required food labels[REQUIRED]

 6. Check with the Texas Comptroller to see if your product is subject to sales tax, and if you need to obtain a Sales & Use Permit. Cost – free. 

If you are selling homemade foods from your home please review the Texas Cottage Food Laws to make sure you are following all guidelines. Below is the updated list of "allowed foods": 


  • Any food, excluding meat, that does not require time or temperature control to prevent spoilage
  • Baked goods that do not require refrigeration, such as cakes, cookies, breads, and pastries
  • Candy
  • Coated and uncoated nuts
  • Unroasted nut butters
  • Fruit butters
  • Canned jams and jellies
  • Fruit pies
  • Dehydrated fruits and vegetables including dried beans
  • Popcorn and popcorn snacks
  • Cereal, including granola
  • Dry mixes
  • Vinegar
  • Mustard
  • Roasted coffee or dry tea
  • Dried herbs or herb mixes
  • Whole (uncut) frozen fruits or vegetables
  • Canned acidified plant-based foods with a pH of 4.6 or less
  • Fermented vegetables with a pH of 4.6 or less
  • Pickled fruits or vegetables with a pH of 4.6 or less

  • Yard Eggs